[Greylist-users] exim implementation

martin dempsey mjd at digitaleveryware.com
Tue Jun 24 15:10:50 PDT 2003

> I am using the exim from Debian. I've already customized the Debian
> package for it, as I maintain a lot of servers, I really need to stick
> on a stable package.

I am using Debian as well (also on many servers). Its not a big problem to
have some custom software on a Debian box. There is nothing unstable about
Exim version 4. Been around and tested for a long time. Much as I like
Debian, you just have to accept Debian isn't in a hurry. When you compile
your own software, you're just trusting your own ability rather than the
debian package maintainer.

> I'll try to convert the package of exim 4 using the source package from
> unstable (it is not on testing yet) version of Debian, can you point me
> to your implementation of greylisting?

I made up a page so web people can download the current version. So far its
changing frequently and has only existed for less than a week.

http://www.digitaleveryware.com/projects/greylisting/

Personally, I would just download the standard Exim 4.20 code from
www.exim.org and put any customizations like file paths in the Makefile
rather than messing with source packages in "unstable". In fact, thats
exactly what I did.

Specific Debian notes: My makefile puts the compiled code out in
/usr/local/sbin rather than the debian standard of /usr/sbin. So you need to
update the cron files and/or make a link for /usr/sbin/exim to point to the
version in /usr/local/sbin/. Or change the makefile to toss the stuff in
/usr/sbin.

Also, the old version of exim on debian was compiled with version five of the
berkely db libraries. A new exim version will use version seven.
Since these are incompatible, after you install exim version 4.xx you need to
rebuild the db files in /var/spool/exim/db with the exim 4.xx db executables.

With the proto-instructions from the link above, you should be in the
exim/greylisting business. Let me know how it goes.