[Greylist-users] SMTP/AUTH before greylist problem

Bob Beck beck at bofh.cns.ualberta.ca
Wed Aug 3 11:53:42 PDT 2005

	I find it a far simpler practice to simply tell people
that port 25 is not used for submission. It causes way less support
headaches when some knuckle dragger ends up somwehre with port 25
blocked.

	-Bob

* Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground.net> [2005-08-03 11:12]:
> Bob Beck wrote:
>
> >	We do this very simply. We use submission (587) with ssl and
> >authentication for road warriors. we don't greylist 587, and we don't
> >take unauthenticated un-ssl'ed connections on it. We tell people *not*
> >to use port 25 for this sort of thing. Spammers don't authenticate on
> >port 587 so there is no spam danger.
> >

> While true, if the mail comes in on 25 w/SMTP-AUTH then there is no
> technical reason to greylist or anything else -- If you have spammers
> AUTHing, you have bigger problems then the port number they use.
>
> --
> Eat right, exercise, die anyway.

Bob Beck                                   Computing and Network Services
beck at bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca                           University of Alberta
True Evil hides its real intentions in its street address.