[Greylist-users] Using a spam-trap e-mail address with greylist

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Fri Jan 26 16:26:08 PST 2007

On 1/25/07 2:05 PM, "Dennis Wynne" <DWYNNE at equinoxis.com> wrote:

> Say I make up a new, bogus user for our domain and post it on various web
> pages, online sites, newsgroups, etc but never use it for mail. Then I would
> automatically black list any IP that sends an e-mail to that user since it
> has to be from a spammer.

You need to protect this with a whitelist, or you wind up blocking mail from
places like hotmail an yahoo (and, rarely, Gmail).  Those places do have
legitimate customers in addition to bad actors.

[As it happens, I was just working on a whitelist entry that was needed
because of a manual blacklist...but before that there were several honeypot
hits.]

  --John