[MudWalker] Re: Bug & feature request/question

Kevin Reid kpreid
Sat Jun 26 09:30:25 PDT 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 19:03, Michael Beatty wrote:

> On June 23, 2004, at 8:40 PM, George Vidas
> <gvidas at gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
>> But first, the obligatory "I love Mudwalker.  Please, please release
>> new versions."
>
> Seconded.  Mudwalker has no peers on OS X..

Unfortunately, the CVS server via which I update the web site is down.

I'll release a new version with what changes I have made as soon as
it's back up.

>> - There seems to be a glaring memory leak.  I'm not sure I can
>> isolate it very specifically; it pretty much boils down to the text
>> buffer never being deallocated, even when I set the lines display
>> count low or do a 'clear scrollback.'  I come to this conclusion by
>> looking at a `top -o rsize` and watching Mudwalker, after a few hours
>> of constant text scrolling, grind to a halt.
>
> I've also got this problem.  Mudwalker typically uses about 200-300 MB
> of real memory (using Activity Monitor.app) after 20-30 minutes of
> playing, and then begins to swap.

I've noticed this in the past but not recently. As I don't currently
play any game muds I may not notice even if it is still present.

I would appreciate help in finding this bug.

>> - I would really like some sort of a timing hook for Lua.  Either a
>> function to get the current unix timestamp/microtime, or some way to
>> delay a trigger's execution for a set amount of time.  The latter
>> could be broadly emulated with the former, I think.  I've not been
>> able to dig up anything, though, because the Lua system functions
>> don't seem to, er, function in Mudwalker.  Any thoughts?
>> Essentially, I'd like a tick timer; something that waits n seconds
>> and then sends an echo.
>
> Exposing the lua system.* functions and creating a timer setup would
> be welcome here as well :)

The Lua io and os libraries are not available because they would be a
security hole - allowing MudWalker connection documents to affect your
system.

Time functions and an ability to execute scripts at a later time are on
my todo list.

> Does the keybinding panel accept anything besides the numberpad keys?
> I'd really like to bind the function keys to commands..

Function keys can be used. Type ' (single quote), Control-Q, and the
function key.

I plan to add a better user interface for this.