[phobos] Push or pull?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Feb 9 11:16:23 PST 2011

On Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:18:12 Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> >> Even the instructions on github for generating a pull request use the
> >> master branch. After a few failed attempts usig a separate branch I
> >> gave up and did what thy said.
> >
> > You must be talking about something else, step 1 is to switch to the
> > branch you want:
> >
> > http://help.github.com/pull-requests/#initiating_the_pull_request
>
> Ah, I was working mostly from the "forking a project" page.  It says "once
> you've pushed your commit(s), inform the project owner of the changes so
> they can pull them into their repo. The best way to do this is by sending
> a pull request."  I'll see about reverting my changes in master and moving
> them to a branch.
>
> > The default is to have the request pulled into the master branch of
> > your forked repository though, which usually is the desired location
>
> Is it really the desired location?  If I want to submit multiple pull
> requests to a single project, I'd think that each one should be done from
> a separate branch.  Using master as the default seems like it would work
> against this.

Making changes in your own repository on separate branches for each issue makes
sense, but when the pull request for them is done and the changes are pushed
into the main repository, I'd expect that to be to the master branch. So, the
pull request would come _from_ a separate branch of your repository and go _to_
the master branch of the main repository.