[phobos] lots of spurious code that doesn't work

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Fri Jan 21 21:41:30 PST 2011

On 1/21/11 10:25 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> On 1/21/11 8:56 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>>> What needs to be added to the auto-tester to catch this near submit time?
>>> Is it another make target?  If so, what?
>>
>> It's make -f posix.mak html that fails on all systems.
>
> Gah.. what the hell does it need wine for?  How twisted is that?  It only
> runs via the posix.mak file, but runs the windows binaries?  Please god,
> why?

Sorry, I meant "OSX and Linux" instead of "all systems". Wine is present
for two reasons:

1. Allows people who don't use Windows to test on a Windows-like platform

2. Is a good check for the portability of our Windows code across
different Windows versions.

But it's not required. Feel free to ignore it. Unless you say
OS=win32wine while building it won't bother you.

>>> Is it platform specific (ie, should only be run on win32)?  If so, which?
>>
>> On win32 it can't be run as Windows is not quite posix :o).
>
> At one point, the docs were only generated on windows, or at least that's
> my memory of Walter's process.

Right. I think Jonathan improved the state of affairs because he made
documentation available for both OSs.

>>> Should it be added to the unittest target (probably not, just asking)?
>>
>> I think it's a good idea!
>
> Get it to not require wine and the windows version of the compiler and
> I'll be happy to.

Shouldn't be necessary. Let me know if you hit a hitch.