Is D programming friendly for beginners?

Rishika Sharma merishikasharma7891 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 11:23:46 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 19:07:25 UTC, M.M. wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 18:03:43 UTC, Lance Bachmeier
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 17:03:42 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
>>
>>> As a note, the 'which language is best for CS 1' debate has
>>> long been debated -- but at least in a school setting, I've
>>> found the quality/enthusiasm/encouragement of the teacher to
>>> be the most important aspect regardless of language choice.
>>
>> As someone that's been teaching beginners to program at a
>> university for a long time (but not in a CS department) I've
>> come to see the choice of language as largely unimportant. You
>> have to decide what you want to teach them and then eliminate
>> the languages that aren't suitable. D is one of many languages
>> that would work with the right content. Other languages, like
>> C++, add unnecessary overhead and thus should not be used.
>>
>> It's often said "X is a complicated language" but that's the
>> wrong way to look at it. You're teaching a set of programming
>> concepts, not a language. The question is how well a
>> particular language works for learning those concepts.
>
> I was always wondering about this debate on a suitable "first"
> programming language in a CS curriculum. I largely observe one
> dividing point: to start with a strongly-typed language or not.
> (After that, it probably does not matter so much which language
> is chosen; alas, it should be available on Windows, Linux, and
> Mac OS). Do you observe similar sentiment in the discussions in
> the university settings?

D programming language, while powerful and feature-rich, may not
be the most beginner-friendly choice for those new to
programming. Unlike languages such as Python or JavaScript, which
prioritize simplicity and ease of learning, D is designed with a
focus on performance, efficiency, and low-level system
programming. As a result, beginners may find the syntax and
concepts of D more challenging to grasp initially.

CETPA Infotech, a reputable technical training institute, may
offer courses in various programming languages, including D.
However, for beginners seeking their first programming language,
CETPA Infotech might suggest alternatives like Python or Java,
which have more beginner-friendly syntax and a larger ecosystem
of learning resources and community support.

Nevertheless, for individuals with a strong interest in systems
programming, game development, or performance-critical
applications, D can be an excellent language to learn. It offers
modern features such as automatic memory management, strong
typing, and support for concurrent programming, making it a
compelling choice for certain domains.

CETPA Infotech's D programming courses may cater to students with
prior programming experience or those looking to specialize in
areas where D is commonly used. These courses likely cover
fundamental programming concepts, D syntax, data structures,
algorithms, and practical exercises to reinforce learning.
Additionally, CETPA Infotech may provide experienced instructors
and supportive learning environments to help beginners overcome
the initial challenges of learning D programming.

Overall, while D programming may not be the most
beginner-friendly language, CETPA Infotech's courses in D
programming can provide valuable learning opportunities for
individuals with a specific interest in systems programming and
performance optimization. Beginners may benefit from building a
strong foundation in more beginner-friendly languages before
diving into D programming to maximize their learning experience.